Your Guide to Stunning Photography
With rocky shoreline, majestic lighthouses, forested trails, and four distinct seasons of Mother Nature at her best, the Eastern Upper Peninsula is a fantastic destination for the amateur photographer in you. With such an abundance of options, not sure where to start? Here’s a list of photographic hot spots and what you can expect to see at each.
Top 10 Photo-Worthy Destinations
- Tahquamenon Falls State Park features a variety of waterfalls, nature trails, and wildlife watching possibilities.
- Point Iroquois Lighthouse features a classic masonry light with public access to the top of the tower, as well as nearby agate beach and wooden boardwalk.
- Rotary Island Park grants photographers close access to freighters and other marine vessels as they ply the lower St. Marys River.
- Soo Locks observation deck is a great place to photograph some of the thousands of freighters that pass through this historic, 1800s era canal.
- Alford Park, located on Portage Avenue, is the perfect place to capture images of the adjacent hydroelectric plant, with its stunning architecture and compelling history.
- Tower of History delivers panoramic views of the entire region, including the St. Marys River, Soo Locks and Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario (Canada) to the north.
- Soo Locks Boat Tours are a great way to capture unique angles of the Soo Locks, International Bridge, and other landmarks along the river.
- Lake Superior State University campus provides the perfect overlook from which to shoot images of the International Bridge.
- Hiawatha National Forest and other forest lands throughout the EUP feature hundreds of miles of trails with lush foliage, woodland wildlife, and beautiful surroundings just waiting to be captured.
- Country Roads of Chippewa County deliver some surprises for photographers, including deer crossings, serene fields of livestock or hay bales, and the occasional Amish horse and buggy.
Professional Images of the EUP
Looking for inspiration? Look no further than the images captured by these professional photographers. Whether you wish to simply enjoy their online galleries or want to take home a souvenir from your visit, these shutterbugs never disappoint. Get more information about each photographer and view more extensive galleries by clicking their pictures below.