Recreational Boats in the Soo Locks

Have you ever wondered what procedures are necessary in order to pass through the Soo Locks with a recreational boat?

If a recreational boat requests transit through the Soo Locks for an upbound or downbound passage, and if they have a marine radio on board, they can call:

  • Chief Lockmaster on Channel 14, 156.700Mhz.
  • Call sign for the Chief Lockmaster is WUE 21.

The Lockmaster will then dispatch the vessel into a Lock.

Pleasure crafts wishing to transit the Soo Locks must have a propulsion motor. Non-motorized personal water crafts are not allowed to transit the Locks.

There is no charge for any vessels, whether they are commercial ships or pleasure craft, to transit the Locks.

The length of time it takes to transit the Locks will depend on the amount of traffic using the Locks at a particular time.

To learn more about the Soo Locks, visit our website here.