OPEN FOR TRAVEL
Michigan’s Pause to Save Lives
As you may have heard, beginning Nov. 18, Michigan is under a new pandemic order. The state’s Pause to Save Lives is in effect. This order is scheduled to last for three weeks, limits the size of gatherings, and prohibits dining in at restaurants and bars. Keep up to date with the guidelines here.
We’re so excited to have you come back UP to Sault Ste. Marie! As Michigan re-opens, we are proud to let you know that the Soo is open and ready for leisure travel. We want to thank you for the patience you’ve had and your continued patience as we all work together to enjoy this winter.
Our hotels, local businesses and attractions have all been working hard to prepare for your next vacation. Operational and physical changes have been implemented with your health and safety in mind. When you’re ready to take a social-distancing-friendly retreat, you can be rest assured that Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan is the ultimate place for you and your loved ones to escape to.
While we’re ready for you to explore everything that the Soo has to offer, before traveling you should be aware of the following important information:
IS IT SAFE TO TRAVEL TO SAULT STE. MARIE?
Yes! Michigan is a leading state in containing and defeating COVID-19. While things aren’t back to “normal,” you will find that in the Upper Peninsula, things are more “normal” than many other parts of the state and surrounding area. We’ve prepared this guide to help you be a healthy traveler to the Sault Ste. Marie area and answer some of your questions.
DO I HAVE TO WEAR A MASK?
Yes. As of July 13, Governor Whitmer has mandated wearing masks across Michigan in indoor places and outdoor areas with large crowds. This includes Sault Ste. Marie, even though the Upper Peninsula is in a different phase of reopening compared to the rest of the state.
WHAT IS CURRENTLY OPEN IN SAULT STE. MARIE?
*Please follow state guidelines here. Everything is subject to change.*
- Hotels and lodging
- Restaurants (including dine-in services), wineries and breweries
- The Soo Locks Park
- Attractions including the Soo Locks Boat Tours, the Museum Ship Valley Camp, the Tower of History and more
- Our historic downtown area
- The Kewadin Casino
- Unbeatable freighter watching locations
- Public hiking and water trails, parks and beaches
- All state and city campgrounds
- Golf courses
- Gym and fitness facilities
- Hair salons and barbershops
*Please check with individual businesses to confirm business hours, available services and individual guidelines
HOW CAN I PREPARE FOR A TRIP TO SAULT STE. MARIE?
To best prepare for your upcoming getaway to the Soo, follow these steps:
FOLLOW HEALTHY TRAVEL PRACTICES
- Please keep your distance and remain 6 feet apart at all times.
- Social distancing is vital to keeping everything that Sault Ste. Marie offers open and available to the public.
- Outdoor gatherings of more than 250 people are currently prohibited in Michigan.
- As you know, the World Health Organization and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (or CDC) have advised travelers throughout the world to follow best-health practices any time when traveling.
- These include wearing a mask, social distancing, washing your hands frequently, and other common practices.