“Elmwood,” the Henry Rowe Schoolcraft home, was built downriver from the Johnston home in
1826-27. The federal style home features a two story main structure with two symmetrical wings.
The west wing was Schoolcraft’s Indian agency office.
The Schoolcrafts lived at Elmwood until 1833, when the Indian agency headquarters was moved
from the Sault to Mackinac Island. Elmwood was later rented by Charles Harvey, who built the first
locks at the Sault, and even later, became the home of prominent Sault merchant Peter Barbeau.
The building was moved to its present site and its exterior restored to its original appearance in 1979.
Only the west wing, the Indian Agency Office, is open to the public. The office exhibit contains
items related to Schoolcraft’s work and his many interests.
Artifacts displayed are from the collections of the Chippewa County Historical Society unless
otherwise noted. The Johnston Home displays include many items originally owned by the
Visit Other Historic Homes on Water Street:
John Johnston House
Bishop Baraga House
Kemp Coal Dock Office and Industrial Museum
Rates for the Historic Homes can be found at this link.