Ages

Fall Color Update 2019

Check back in the afternoon on Tuesdays and Friday starting September 15, 2020, for updates from Sault Ste. Marie to Paradise, Michigan.

Looking west from the top of the Tower of History on Thursday, Oct. 17, 2019.

UPDATE 11-1-2019
Fall has fallen, all over the ground! In just a few days almost all of the trees are bare.

UPDATE 10-29-2019
Soo Locks Parks is at 99% saturation, the other 1% is STILL green. The real story will be can the leaves hold onto the branches; fall will be blown away before we know it. The leaves that are still on the trees are lovely with mostly yellows and deep oranges. 

UPDATE 10-25-2019
Soo Locks Parks is 90% saturation, the other 10% is still green. What a crazy fall!

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills Past PEAK 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point Past PEAK

UPDATE 10-18-2019
Soo Locks Parks This may be your last weekend for pretty fall colors in Sault Ste. Marie. The Soo Locks Park is near peak color saturation, but as you can see from the 10-17-19 image the rest of the city is still rather green. This year has been very hard to predict fall colors. 

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills PEAK 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point PEAK

UPDATE 10-15-2019
Soo Locks Parks Near Peak, 80% saturation

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills PEAK 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point PEAK

UPDATE 10-11-2019
Soo Locks Parks Colors are going off by the hour it seems inside the Soo Locks Park. It is 75 percent in some areas, and closer to peak in others. Likewise is same throughout Sault Ste. Marie. The time to make vacation plans is now.  

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills Point Iroquois closes for the season Sunday, Oct. 13 with its last shift slated for 1 p.m. – 5 p.m., and it’s the perfect time. Colors are now entering the high 90 percentile and will be peaking by this weekend. 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point

Colors are peaking NOW at Whitefish Point. Attendants at the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum say there will be around five days of peak colors before the weather turns off the switch. The area has erupted with orange, red and purple leaves. Head that way ASAP. 

UPDATE 10-8-2019
Soo Locks Parks The park is inching closer and closer to peak color. Expect colors be at their peak within the next week. Currently the Soo Locks Park is between 50-60 percent. 

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills This is the last weekend the lighthouse will be open for tours, but it’s still a prime location for fall colors. The last full day is Sunday, Oct. 13, 2019. Currently colors are upwards of 60 percent with some spots reaching into the 70s. 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point

Thanks to warm and beautiful weather colors are being reported in the 60-65 percent range for the area. Peak season could be any day now, but there still are large areas with green, yet some spots are over 70 percent. Don’t forget you can visit the museum until October 31, 2019.

UPDATE 10-4-2019
Soo Locks Parks The park is breathtaking at almost 45-50% color saturation. I love the observation deck to see the freighters, but the walkways through the park are fantastic.

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills This is the second to last weekend that the lighthouse will be open for the season! The last full day is Sunday, October 13, 2019. The lighthouse keepers have reported the fall foliage around the historic lighthouse to be at 50%.

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point There are still a number of green trees along the drive to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, but the fall colors are 50-60% saturation. Don’t forget you can visit the museum until October 31, 2019.

10-1-2019
Soo Locks Parks The colors in the park have exploded over the weekend! The trees are between 35-40% saturation! Don’t be surprised by the occasional 100% GREEN trees though!

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills “OVERNIGHT!” we suddenly had 40% color saturation!!!

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point Near Lake Superior the color saturation is close to 40%, but inland at Tahquamenon Falls State Park the percentage is higher.

9-27-2019
Soo Locks Park  Change is slowly starting to happen in the Soo Locks Park with less and less green trees as the days go by. The colors are between 10 -15%

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills A few spots in Bay Mills are beginning to turn quickly, but Point Iroquois Lighthouse and the immediate area are still mostly green. Colors are between 15-20 percent. 

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point About another week of cool weather is expected to escalate the fall foliage. Many of the maple trees are beginning to turn red, but the colors are still between 30-40 percent. 

UPDATE 9-24-2019
Soo Locks Park  The colors are developing! The colors are between 10-15%.

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills the colors are between 15-20%.

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point the color is also between 15-20%.

9-20-2019
Soo Locks Park The park is more green than red and yellow, but fall is on its way! The very eastern end of the Upper Peninsula is still only sitting just a smidge above 5%.

Point Iroquois Lighthouse, Bay Mills The colors saturation is between 5-10%, but still, a very slow start says the lighthouse keeper. He asked that I remind visitors that the property is accessible. However, the Tower and Museum are closed on Mondays and Tuesdays for the remainder of the season. Point Iroquois will close for the season on Sunday, October 13, 2019.

Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum, Whitefish Point The drive up to the museum is fantastic once the color starts popping. However, they reported that they are only about 10-15% color saturation today. “It’s spotty, but fall is definitely on the way!”. You can visit the museum until October 31, 2019.

9-17-2019 Fall feels like it’s just around the corner, but the trees disagree. From Sault Ste. Marie to the Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum on Whitefish Bay there are a handful of trees that a popping with fall color, but for the most part all variety of trees are still very green. The area is less than 10% color saturation. 

9-9-2019 The leaves in the Eastern Upper Peninsula have begun to change. Sault Ste. Marie is currently less than 5%