Power Canal Fence Support
Sign the petition HERE.
We ask for your continued support in advocating for new fencing to be constructed along the Power Canal, which runs through the historic downtown of Sault Ste. Marie. Positive strides have already been made, but more must be done to bring this project to its full potential. A new fence to accompany the walkway would propel the recent developments forward. The following statistics from Creating 21st Century Communities: Making the Economic Case for Place (2016), prepared by Public Sector Consultants, display the advantages of increasing walkability and quality of life in downtowns:
• Investments that support sustainability have a positive effect on the image and can lead to increases in property values, incomes, and employment.
• Trails attract well-educated professionals, which attract businesses.
• A high percentage of green infrastructure, including trails, has a positive impact on population, income, and employment.
• Art and cultural amenities contribute to a sense of place and attract visitors, talent, and businesses.
• The more walkable the community, the better they endured the Great Recession, the faster they recovered, and the faster the value of commercial properties grew after said recession.
• “Good physical design and walkability also benefit communities in terms of incomes, educational attainment, and new business starts…”
• High-population areas that are more walkable have higher per capita Gross Domestic Product.
• A high percentage of millennials and seniors want to live in walkable neighbors and be close to needed goods and services, respectively.
• Improvements to one corridor helped attract 44 new businesses, 200 new jobs, and increased sales and foot traffic.
The entire project costs $10,000,000, and the additional expense of constructing new fencing would cost $200,000 to Cloverland Electric. This cost becomes negligible once you take the principal expense of this three-and-a-half-year project and spread it across a thirty-year time period, and also across a consumer base. The cost then equates to approximately $0.16 per customer per year.
Please take the time to voice your opinion in support of the fencing improvements along the Power Canal in Sault Ste. Marie. To send an e-mail to the Board of Directors of Cloverland Electric, please use this e-mail address: email@example.com.
Thank you for your time, and we hope that you will join us in supporting the improvement of the fencing along the Power Canal.
Please feel free to contact the Cloverland Board with any concerns or questions.
William C. LaLonde 906-298-0340
Richard Newland 906-297-5681
Jason St. Onge 231-420-0462
Carmine Bonacci Jr. 906-440-4063
Charles Litzner 906-635-5958
John Sawruk 906-630-1287
Peter Legault 906-477-6878
Virgil Monroe 906-341-8808
Ronald Provo 906-341-5300