Henry Rowe Schoolcraft House and Indian Agency Office
“Elmwood,” the Henry Rowe Schoolcraft home,
was built downriver from the Johnston home in
1826-27. The federal style home features a twostory
main structure with two symmetrical wings.
The west wing was Schoolcraft’s Indian agency
The Schoolcrafts lived at Elmwood until 1833,
when the Indian agency headquarters was moved
from the Sault to Mackinac Island. Elmwood was
later rented by Charles Harvey, who built the first
locks at the Sault, and even later, became the home
of prominent Sault merchant Peter Barbeau.
The building was moved to its present site and its
exterior restored to its original appearance in 1979.
Only the west wing, the Indian Agency Office,
is open to the public. The office exhibit contains
items related to Schoolcraft’s work and his many
Artifacts displayed are from the collections of
the Chippewa County Historical Society unless
otherwise noted. The Johnston Home displays
include many items originally owned by the