Winter is on its way and it’s time to start planning a snowy adventure to the Upper Peninsula. Here are 5 reasons Sault Ste. Marie is your perfect starting point for winter fun!
- Make sure to bring your outdoor gear and make Sault Seal Recreation Area your first stop. Admission will get you a full day of sliding down a snowy hill in an oversized tube. Hang around for an evening slide when the sun goes down and the lights come on. When you get a little chilly you can always take a break from the fun in the heated chalet with a hot cocoa.
- Enjoy a scenic drive through the snowy landscape on your way to Tahquamenon Falls State Park in Paradise, Michigan. Open year round the upper falls offers an epic winter experience. The later in the season you venture out to the falls the more ice there is likely to be covering the water cascade. This photo is from February 2014 one of the coldest years in recent history.
- Snowmobiling is a Sault Ste. Marie staple during the winter months. With miles of trails leading out of the Soo, you could fill a long weekend with great riding starting December 1st. Snowmobiling is such a part of the Soo that we have our own international snowmobile race. The I-500 Race will be celebrating its 50th anniversary February 3, 2018.
- If a quieter winter sport is what you’re looking for try snowshoeing through the serene forests. The Algonquin Trail is just a few short miles from downtown Sault Ste. Marie with groomed trails and lights for evening walks. Need a pair of snowshoes? Call in advance to the Lake Superior State University Recreational Outdoor Center and rent a pair.
- Don’t call it quits when the sun goes down, there are still plenty of things to do in the Soo! Aside from the night activities above, there is always Dondee Lanes fun for the whole family. If you have a grown-up weekend away in mind find your fun at Kewadin Casino. With over 730 slot machines, various table games, numerous bars, and places to feed your hunger there’s something for everyone at Kewadin. Another option is getting lost in the BARmuda Triangle. 13 drinking establishments form a triangle in the downtown area all within walking distance of each other. From dance floors to craft beer and wine, the BARmuda Triangle is a unique anomaly in the Soo!
No matter what your winter plans are there are lots of hotels and restaurant options to help fuel your adventure in Sault Ste. Marie. We would love to see all the snowy fun you find in the Soo, please post your photos to Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter using the hashtag #ILovetheSoo. Hope to see you soon!